Giants Park Project
Community Stadium & Sports/Educational Village
A sustainable, shared sports ‘Hub’ in North Belfast.
North Belfast remains the most segregated part of Northern Ireland. 22 of 42 NIO “Peace Walls” remain standing, dividing communities across this part of the city. We suffered the highest number of “Troubles” related deaths and have high levels deprivation. People living in North Belfast also have poor access to leisure facilities.
- Football is popular, but doesn’t pay. There is only one financially stable club in NI!
- Raising Standards: IFA, UEFA Licensing, fans, customers
- Requires new model- Income Generating / sustainable- Highly welcoming, embraces all communities, ‘new nationals’; woman, disability
- Council involvement / “buy in”- Community “buy in” – Sports development approach
Media & Creative Industries Village
3 ‘global-reach’ film companies
- 4-6000 Stadium (UEFA, DDA Eco compliant)
- 3500 seat Indoor “Pro-Basket” arena & public ice-rink
- Sports Village: 100,000 sq ft rental space (Medical, health, consultancy)
- GAA 3G facility
- Tertiary Education Block / “Hub” & Football Academy
- Soccer Dome / MUGAs
- International Centre of Excellence bid
- Adventure Golf
- Senior Cricket; Rugby & more